Friday 13 March 2015

The Play Of Dark-To-Light Lighting

As my narrative is to show the journey of improvement throughout my title-sequence, I want to stress upon this with the lighting. The connotations of "Dark" shows emotions of sadness whereas "Light" shows emotions of happiness.

To use the dark lighting at the beginning to clearly prove her sadness. The graffiti shot was lightly saturated:

As you can see, it has very beautiful and clear lighting, but I didn't really want this.











Although I was graced with beautiful lighting on the dates of my shootings, I had to reincorporate the idea of my lighting. Relying on post-production to help me convey this idea. Therefore, I used an editing technique called, "Gamma Correction"

Playing with the effect, I got to play with the darkness:



As you can see with the before and after shots, I was able to alter the lighting:
Before: Light
After: Dark
After doing this, I can see it improves the grittiness of the location adding emphasis on her poor background.

Whereas the light side of the title sequence, I got very lucky with the sunny lighting so I didn't have to rely much on post-production. The light depicts the happiness my protagonist has in her current state of being up London:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog