Friday 13 March 2015

Post-Production: Money scene

I wanted to use direct symbolism to indicate certain aspects of my protagonist; as she starts off in a poor and run-down area, other than showing her location I went one step further and showing spare change to emphasise her wealth.

With the feedback from my peers and especially my teacher, they all mentioned that the money scene looked a bit out of place. Although I was able to capture the darks-to-lights that I planned for my film, the lighting of this part was very out of place - it had an orange tint to it.

 As you can see, the orange tint is very prominent. Almost matching the coins; because it really played on my mind, I went and reshot this scene in its entirety. Keeping in mind my actor doesn't go to the same school as me and as well living on the other side of London, I had to improvise. I looked around school to find a similar skin tone as my actor in order to redo this.




After the reshoot, this was my end result:

I then incorporated this into my sequence, finally showing the people around me they didn't really like the look of her hand. It looked out of place, as much as the last. Therefore, having to rethink again I discovered the power of 3-way colour correcting.








With the amazing use of Final Cut Pro, I was able to alter the colouring of this awful shot. Focusing on the blacks and the mid-tones, I played around with it until I got a satisfactory colour. In the end, I could see the difference and was much nicer than the last.









The money scene is specifically important as my genre is, "coming-of-age" it shows a journey from one place to the other. Showing she has not a lot of money and then comparing her to when she's looking more wealthy and in a different environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog