Monday 23 March 2015

Evaluation: Part Five

How does your media product represent particular social groups?

I represent many types of social groups based on: race, gender, age and regional identity. My protagonist is a sixteen year old black female living in the suburbs of London; there are many stereotypes just based upon black people but there's also stereotypes about teenagers and females. Being black, there's a stigma of being problematic, as well as teenagers - especially in the media. Females are seen as reliant on men and incapable of doing simple tasks. I represent all of these in my title sequence. I wanted to prove these "myths" false and change the perception for people; I do this via the hyperdermic needle theory. Staying closely related to the Uses And Gratifications, I know exactly what teenagers seek from movies as I previously done a questionnaire for this. A majority of teenagers, black/white male/female seek Identity which is where they look at characters as role models as they have similar values and can aspire to be them. As teenagers are quite young, they are still not as experienced in life, so being educated by movies they can see people in the film experiecing similar situations and can take advice from it and finally for soleful purpose of entertainmwent; similarly to how people saw the cinema in the 20's - a way of escaping reality.
 
Coming-of-age alone represents the teenage audience from one aspect of their life to another, the iconography of this genre is social realism and drama. Drama is prominent within a teenager's life. The usage of the microfeatures: cinematography, mise-en-scene, editing and sound help reach my macro features narrative, genre and audience.

With mise-en-scene costuming is important to help portray specific social groups; when my protagonist is poorer I use timberlands, earrings and short skirts stereotypically what teenagers wear as it's not very formal. I then change this when she's seen as richer, she wears a hat similar to Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast At Tiffany's - as Hepburn is seen as a beauty icon for young girls I integrated her famous hat in a satirical way - proving does a hat really make you seem wealthier? Referring to the study of semiotics, connotations of prominent in my title sequence so smoking connotes youth, trainers too.

Typography is very similar to Juno's and The Virgin Suicides, they use handwritten teenage girl like font which represents the social group of teenagers. It also adds an innocence to the tone, proving stereotypes are harsh, especially on young girls.

My soundtrack also represents teenagers because it's a modern indie band, teenagers recently are really into alternative music; also it's very upbeat and joyful emphasising youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog