Monday 23 March 2015

Evaluation: Part Six

How did you attract / address your audience? 

                         



This is the transcript: 

I think I did reach my target audience as, being a teenager, it includes everything I would want to see in a movie considering I currently am one; I desire stunning cinematography and a memorable soundtrack. Keeping in mind that my targeted audience are are teenage kids, predominantly female as they stereotypically favour dramas over males, I had to have an inspirational character in which they could idolise. Knowing there's a current movement of feminism within the younger generation, I wanted to show young girls in a good spirit, rather than a sex object the media portray women as. I achieved this with the help of costuming - by showing the journey of the protagonist from being poor to rich, referencing Hepburn's hat in Breakfast At Tiffany's to represent wealth, my character looks elegant rather than looking promiscious that some films do. Using films of similar target audience, I watched them and saw things I liked since i'm the same age, I liked the typography used in The Virgin Suicides and Juno as they look like a female teenager wrote it; this is a way I addressed my audience, even from my feedback my peers recognised the genre just from the typography used. 

Real media institutions target the teenage demographic as they're a mass audience, I have experienced this  first handedly, especially with the music industry. From my feedback sheet, every person wrote something about "soundtrack" and as teenagers are very involved in the music industry, I prioritised this immediately. With experience from seeing teenager's reactions and opinions to music on the social media, I can see their music taste through their "follow" tab. Although there are many genres of music, the most popular was "indie" and "alternative" music, therefore I chose a moderately new alternative band which use fast tempo beats. This was very successful as asking my peers afterwards, they seemed to remember the beat of the track.

With the conventions of a coming of age genre, one being realism, this is how I address my audience. Through the microfeatures it adds credability for the audience to seek advice / influence from: according to the Uses And Gratifications theory. Like AdULTHOOD, they address their audience through the setting - representing the not so wealthy people in suburban London through estates and flats.

Moreover, fashion is very important in teenage life. So integrating desirable costumes that the teenagers would like could potentially act as an exchange for the movie, as they may upload screenshots of the character's outfit. I've seen this with movies such as, "Clueless" and "LOL". Although in hindsight, this became less of a priority of mine and next time I would of reconsidered making it a priority because cinematography was most important to convey my macro features. Although you can easily address your audience through costuming.











According to my feedback, my cinematography was very successful. I took inspiration from Coppola's work in The Virgin Suicides as she portrays teenage emotion through the lens. I also believe the lighting in my title sequence was very successful as the semiotics of the bright lighting when she richer and the usage of dark lighting when she's miserable and poor. On that note, lighting could a address my audience because there's a spectrum of emotion within a teenager's life; so light is the happy and memorable moments whereas dark is the horrible moments.  This also attracts the audience as I do it in a not-so-patronising way, some films that target adults are written by people in their thirties or forties and they experienced adolescence in a different time period to the ones they're targeting; I have an advantage with this as i'm of the age of my target audience. Therefore, I can properly represent the current emotions of my target audience. A similar thing has been done with the film Kids (1995) by Larry Clark. The director was an 18 year old:

          

On the note of cinematography, I took inspiration from Kuleshov to help address teenage emotions. What he does is he shoots a particular scene then reverts to somebodies face, I do this to portray my protagonist's emotions:

                      

For example, once she reaches where she wants to be, she looks far more content with life. Her performance alters from the beginning as at the start she looks very fed up:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog